I know it sounds strange, but emu/ostrich is very good! It has a deep red color and tastes similar to beef. It’s very lean as well.
Makes 8-4oz portions
Spice Rub (mildly spicy)
1 tbsp Powdered ancho or pasilla chiles
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
8 Ostrich or emu steaks or filets, 4 oz each
- Combine ingredients for spice rub
- Rub spices over both sides of steaks to lightly but evenly coat them
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer
- Grill or Broil until medium-done. Minimum internal temperature is 155’F
- Cut into thin slices across the grain
Filet is the proper spelling for meats other than fish (fillet).
Recipe from Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition, Wayne Gisslen; page 404