After the last post I did about cosplay, I wanted to make a more comprehensive list for first-time and beginner cosplayers. I am a beginner cosplayer myself, but I wanted to share my knowledge for everyone.
Some general tips for cosplay at conventions –
- Start working on your costume as soon as you can. You may feel like you have a lot of time, but it’s no fun to be still working on it the night before the con.
- Book your hotel early! The closer to con time, the more expensive it will be.
- Drink water! Whether it’s hot or not, it’s easy to get dehydrated when you’re in costume.
- Make sure to have an emergency sewing kit. A lot of cons have a place you can fix your stuff at, but it’s good to have a kit with you or at your hotel room.
- Put pockets where you can in your costume!
- Make sure your prop weapons follow con guidelines. It would suck to make a cool prop and not be allowed to have it.
- Take breaks and sit down if you need to.
- Mind your cosplay in crowded areas, both for you and other people.
- Use your manners and expect others to do the same.